Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Party time in Ulm!

This week we're in a small village outside of Ulm, home to the largest cathedral in the world, the Münster. Natalie's sister lives here with her family in another huge castle. I've decided I'm never going to have this many rooms or levels or ground in my house. I feel like I have to run everywhere.
I am staying in the guest wing of the house. To get there, you have to either go outside and unlock the door or go through a few corridors and through a few doors that are incredibly difficult to open. Since I rarely wear shoes, I go through the corridors, but the scenery is really cool. There are four different rooms each with bookcases surrounding the walls. There are also some shelves with REALLY old parchment and hand written books. It looks like a museum. There are some books with nazi symbols on the outside. The history here is right in front of my face.
Yesterday, Maiju and I went into the city of Ulm. There is a big city holiday going on right now. All the stores were closed and everyone was on the river, watching a parade of people on anything that could float. There was even a team of water polo players swimming down the Donau. There were boats of brass bands and controversial propaganda. Then there were the young people who were trying to do nothing but get the spectators as wet as possible. It was really cool.
after the river parade, Maiju and I climbed to the top of the Münster. With 768 steps up a spiral staircase, we looked over the busy city and tried not to get too scared, being 161 meters or so off the ground. Apparently it was meant to be shorter, but the builders wanted to outdo the Köln cathedral.
Today was a relaxing day. The kids all swam all day and came in for dinner looking like prunes. I miss you all! Can't wait to see you in about a month! Love youuu!

No comments: