Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 2




Today was a great day. I slept off my jet lag with eleven hours of sleep and woke up around 7:30. No one was awake yet, so I took a bubble bath and a good book. Afterwards I ate breakfast with Mormor and Morfar (Natalie's mother and father). That's the way the swedish call their mother's mother and mother's father. Morfar doesn't speak a lot of English, probably because he just choses not to, and Mormor is trying to better my German, so she speaks mostly German with me. Needless to say, it was an interesting breakfast. They have been very patient with me, which has been very nice.
After breakfast, Mormor took me out to the stables and showed me her horses. As we were walking around the bend, there was a white pony grazing that took my breath away. She was gorgeous. Mormor told me she was a Welsh pony that foaled last spring. We went around the barn and there were probably twenty ponys just hanging out, some laying in the hay some standing and waiting for their breakfast. Mormor's dog is an Australian shepherd dog, and very rambunctious. The ponies don't usually like dogs, but Caramel is the exception.
We walked back to the house and on the way, Mormor pointed to a bunch of varied fruit trees. They have a ton of cherry trees mami. I'll eat extra for you. They also have raspberry bushes and a vegetable garden. I could eat fruit for breakfast lunch and dinner for the rest of the summer. We got back to the house around 10 and the kids still weren't awake, which is very odd for them. They usually wake up around 6:45. I woke them up, and they were bright eyed and bushy tailed when I told them they could ride the horses.
After they ate breakfast, the girls and I went swimming. It was the most gorgeous day. The sun was warm and there was a slight breeye. It was perfect. We swam for awhile and then I laid out in the sun while Theresa and Sophie played with Mariella. We ate a lunch of veal schnitzel
After Mariella's nap, Mormor, Sophie Mariella and I went outside to pick raspberries for the cake. It was Morfaräs birthday the next day so the family came over for cake presents, merriment and whatnot. Anyway, Mariella doesn't like German babyfood, so she didn't eat that day. I gave her a sweet pea to chew on and she loved it. So I cooked up a bunch of them and finally got some food into her.
Natalie forgot to tell me that on Saturday there would be a large reception for Morfar's birthday and everyone would be wearing dirndles and lederhosen. Luckily they have a closet full of them. I wore a gorgeous red one.
My bag still wasn't there, but at least I had clean clothes.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

That sounds like so much fun! You need to put pictures up of you in your dirndle!